Tuesday 15 November 2011

Magpie (pt. 1): Run with your reflection..


Hey guys,
So, in my last post I showed an image of a puddle with reflecting a car- but could also have been perceived as the car falling into a hole. This was the best ''reflection'' themed illusion I could find after an hour of sourcing (hence the violent transvestite above- the only other ''What the hell!?'' -image that kept cropping up on my searches!).
In the total lack of reflection-themed illusions my thirst for all things reflective was not quinched.
So I've decided to run this as my next post, both for new knowledge, self exploration, and to discover how mirrors and reflections can alter and apply to, everyday life. Magpie time!

I actually HAVE to begin with this video for ''Snowhite and the Huntsman''







I saw this yesterday [14/11/11]. It feels like ''my inner child''- if theres such a thing- has finally realized it has grown up all those years since the first ever animated movie I watched. I can't help feel a welcome sense of nostalgia due in 2012 when Snow White and the Huntsman makes its debut around the cinematic world.  Its been well over a decade since I've seen the original animation.
Three guesses for which animated movie that was...

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a 1937 American animated film based on Snow White, a German fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm. It was the first full-length cel-animated feature in motion picture history, as well as the first animated feature film produced in America, the first produced in full color, the first to be produced by Walt Disney and Walt Disney Productions, and the first in the Walt Disney Animated Classics canon.
-Wikipedia (15 Nov, 2011).        


I'd like to place emphasis on the fact it was Walt's first Disney film. What strikes me is that the whole film is drenched with the themes of  biological aesthetics ,reflection and of course the war between beauty versus personality. I find it no coincidence Walt Disney produced this movie during the 'era of timeless glamour', when the global quest for wealth and beauty begun large scale. Could there have been a higher message in this movie? Natural beauty and personality always persevere? (or) That behind a beautiful face is raptor -a predator that will claw every other beautiful face- in a hierarchy for aesthetic superiority? Maybe..


All I know is that today no one is alone, our reflections are everywhere, mirrors adorn every wall, in car windows, panes of glass.. I guess its up to the us as individuals as to whether we get consumed by them. Beauty is only 'skin deep', and that really is not enough depth to run a personality on don't you think?
















Alas, time to get out of heavy talk! 
It's time for something, I think, which is quite amazing 
and fits in perfectly under the theme of this post.



These are reflective ''mirror heels'' designed by the late Anidrea Chaves. I had previously admired his works and their originality, but these shoes indeed set new boundaries. The shoe almost manages to camouflage into its surroundings! 
In the metaphorical sense,
 I love how instead of constantly seeing all our features and 'flaws' in mirrors, the designer has managed to use mirrors for the opposite purpose- to hide and conceal.
Ill finish part 1 of  my Magpie posts with a video of the ILLUSION heels among other surreal ones in action.
C'est tout pour the nuit!






<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White_and_the_Seven_Dwarfs_(1937_film)>.

No comments:

Post a Comment